Friday, September 13, 2013

What We Did at Parent Night

Last night was middle school parent information night. Our parents walked through a modified version of the student schedule, and heard from a variety of teachers and administrators.

I had decided earlier in the week that I didn't want to stand in front of the room talking about rules and procedures.

I was going to give them a quiz. And I did.

This was the more serious group. There were definite shenanigans in the other section.
 
This was the more serious group. There were definite shenanigans in the other section.

They laughed when I handed them a quiz of the Middle East and North Africa. They tried. There was some "group work". One mom checked the map on the wall. There were many groans when I shared the answer key.

After that, I talked about what we are learning and why. For one group, I only had five parents; in the other, I had about fifteen. (I have 26 students total this year. Unfortunately, a high school scheduled their night for yesterday as well.) We talked about the importance of knowing where places are if you're going to understand people and events. We talked about the French Revolution. Many were surprised and impressed that we're reading A Tale of Two Cities, and others were rightfully concerned about how challenging the book is. I talked about reading and choice and stamina, about kids reading the right books to become better readers. We talked about AAAWWUBBIS and FANBOYS. I told them why the kids write at school and not at home. With one group, I even had time to booktalk Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

It was a good night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment